[WikiEN-l] Technical solution to bad fair use

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Aug 1 21:39:18 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>How much value does a photo being "free" really add to any given
>encyclopaedic article? Is this policy about promoting "free" images
>not at odds with other policies which are all about producing a high
>quality encyclopaedia? What happens when the goal to produce a "high
>quality" encyclopaedia is at odds with the goal to produce a "free"
>encyclopaedia?

"High quality" but not "free" could mean lifting current EB articles,
fixing the mistakes, and putting them on the site. After all, if
you're just extracting an article here and there, and our site is
educational, that's fair use, right? :-)

Every nonfree image cuts into our status as a free resource; it also
affects downstream and commercial reusers of content, who likely can't
afford to track down the copyright holder of every single nonfree image
and license them, so they just filter them out en masse. So "nonfree"
ends up becoming "no picture at all".

Stan