[WikiEN-l] Technical solution to bad fair use (was:Uploading images should be a privilige...)

Garion96 garion96 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 12:20:08 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, jkelly at fas.harvard.edu <jkelly at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> At en we have proven largely willing to say to photographers that their
> work
> is not valued.  We pay a kind of lip service to how great it is to have
> freely-licensed material, but it is regularly replaced by more
> professional-looking images found elsewhere on the web under a "fair use"
> claim.  That would certainly suggest that doing photography for en is not
> worth
> one's time.
>
>               Jkelly

I concur with this statement. I found a free image one time, put it on the
article, it was reverted a few times until finally the fair use image was
deleted (7 days orphan). Of course then the fair use image was again
uploaded, some story again. :)  Currently it seems to be stable.

And this was not an image I made, just one I found so I don't mind that
much. But if an editor was the photographer of that image (put way more time
into it, making the photograph etc) I really can imagine he would be
extremely discouraged by the whole ordeal.

Garion96