[WikiEN-l] Common sense exceptions to our copyright policy.

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 03:44:04 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On 7/31/06, Mark Wagner <carnildo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/29/06, Sherool <jamydlan at online.no> wrote:
>> > The problem is though that a lot of people are remarkably resistant
>> > to taking any notice of instructions and warnings. They just want to
>> > upload cool images, and get very upset when we remove and delete them.
>>
>> Which is why we need to remove the upload link.  If they need to hunt
>> around a bit before they can upload images, there's a chance they'll
>> run into the instructions.
>
> Simply making the upload link a link to upload instructions... and
> asking users to upload by forming a image redlink would actually do a
> lot to help.  A lot of images get uploaded without ever being linked
> in.. and where an image is used is very helpful in figuring it out its
> status (for fair use images, at least).

While I like that we're debating ways to encourage more
copyright-compliant uploads, I'm not sure about this particular idea.
Right now, when I happen across an article with a red link for an image,
I know to remove it and/or look for a substitute. Do we want to make
people wonder whether they should wait around in case there's an upload
forthcoming?

--Michael Snow