[WikiEN-l] An alternative to "critics"

ScottL scott at mu.org
Tue Aug 1 00:13:53 UTC 2006

Lord Voldemort wrote:
> On 7/31/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've never much liked sentences that start "Critics argue that...".
>> Here's an alternative I saw at [[Tied Test]]:
>>
>> --
>> Some commentators believed Chappell should have taken Snedden's word
>> that the catch was good.
>> --
>>
>> I find this to be more natural, less contrived, and more NPOV.
>> "Critics" seems to imply that the people had it in for the subject of
>> the article for some reason. "Commentators" is much more neutral -
>> just (presumably somewhat notable) people who expressed an opinion on
>> the event.
>>
>> Any opinions? Other alternatives to the infamous "critics"?
>
> It's still weasel words. How about, "So and So from ''newspaper X''
> have written that that dude messed up and should be fired. <source
> from newspaper X by So and So>"  Be specific.  Who are these
> "commentators" or "critics".  If it is a general feeling, then is
> there some sort of poll that could show that?  --LV

   I get annoyed with people who over use the interdiction against
weasel words to the point that I think fewer people understand weasel
words than understand copyright.  It is only weasel wording if you say
"some people" when you really mean "Me personally or the people I agree
with".  That said, just because its not weasel wording does not mean it
is acceptable to put unreferenced material.  The problem is that
sometimes you really do mean "some commentators" or in some contexts all
of the "weasel words" are what you really do mean and what you should
use.  Its just that in these contexts you should also include a