[WikiEN-l] Fair use image galleries in articles

Minh Nguyen mxn at zoomtown.com
Mon Apr 24 05:42:40 UTC 2006

Justin Cormack wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2006, at 21:40, Ilmari Karonen wrote:
>> Without seeing any particular examples, my opinion would be that a
>> gallery of past logos used to document the evolution of the visual
>> identity of the company in question generally ought to be acceptable
>> fair use.
>
> *If* you are talking about the evolution of the company logo.
>
> *Not* if you are just talking about the company.
>
> Do we have articles about the history of individual company logos?
> Not in these cases (yet). So not fair use. Just pretty copyvio pics.
>
> Justinc

In fact, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBS_idents> is a good example of
how to write articles on things as trivial (?) as logos -- as with
company's hisorical logos, explaining network idents over the years
requires a sizable amount of fair use, and this article seems to do it
well, since the images haven't swallowed up the article.

There's also <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_television_idents>, but
that article contains much less in the way of explanation, and might be
harder to justify under [[WP:NOT]] and fair use.

See also
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Film_and_television_logo_descriptions>.

--
Minh Nguyen <mxn at zoomtown.com>