[WikiEN-l] The problem with flagging things with {{office}}

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 16:15:30 UTC 2006

On 20/04/06, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> How would that matter, though?  It's the content being removed that's
> sensitive, not the fact that *something* is gone; and if the offending
> revisions are deleted/hidden/whatever, there's no way for someone to
> get at that content (at least not directly from us).

Sure there is, especially if the offending material has been sitting
on the site for, oh, say, 4 months? This is where the "free flow of
information" thing comes in - it's precisely because we're focused on
getting information out there quickly that it's incredibly hard to mop
it up suddenly if we need to. After 4 months, there are probably
several hundred copies of the material available on the net, possibly
even more on various users' hard disks, without mentioning Google's
cache, archive.org ....

Steve