[WikiEN-l] wikitruth.info (Slashdot story)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 02:03:03 UTC 2006

On 4/18/06, Ben Yates <bluephonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, but none of their criticisms are about the developers; they're
> all about the editors and admins.  Don't get me wrong -- I've read
> through the site, and sometimes they seem like assholes -- but I think
> that the question deserves serious thought: are attack sites like this
> just a product of the huge wikipedia userbase, or are wikipedia's
> problems severe enough that WikiTruth is an understandable response?

No. Some are due simply to wikipedia's size (succeed and some people
will attack you). However a lot are due to people falling out with
Wikipedia on a personal level. They are not "assholes" just people who
for one reason or another can't work too well with the Wikipedia
community (ok there are some exceptions). When blocked they look for
someone to blame. The cabal, rogue admins the system whatever.

> I think the answer is the former, but every time attacks are answered
> with mockery rather than thought I get nudged toward the latter.

The problem is a lot of the stuff comes from people we know and have
long since become fed up with. A lot of the rest is just the same
repeated acusations that we all know and love .

Once you extract the namecalling from wikitruth what you are left with
are the standard critism of WP:OFFICE and Jimbo. Their Vandalism
exposed article is outdated (particularly in the case of
en.wikipedia). I suspect they probably do have an admin on board.
Other than wishing they would follow the GFDL I don't really care.

--
geni