[WikiEN-l] Why voting *is* evil

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Apr 11 17:02:27 UTC 2006

Mark Gallagher wrote:

>G'day Conrad,
>

>>Regardless of who is and is not being 'arrogant' here it seems clear
>>that neither 'Georgia' is so overwhelmingly more likely to be searched
>>for than the other that it can be assumed to be the intended destination
>>in a high majority of cases... ergo going to a disambig page is the
>>logical course.
>>
>>Did we really need to go out of our way to 'bash the Americans' again?
>>

>Just ask yourself: if Georgia (US state) was not, in fact, a US state,
>but an Australian state, or a British county, or ... whatever ... would
>we have had all those arguments?  I suspect it would indeed have been
>"obvious beyond words" if the grand ol' US of A wasn't involved.

If the Americans had done the right thing and called it New Georgia to
follow the pattern that was started with Hampshire, York and Jersey we
wouldn't be having this problem.  Nobody complains about the name South
Georgia except perhaps the Argentinians.

The other alternative might be the Greek solution of using FSRG (Former
Soviet Republic of Gerogia). :-)

Ec