[WikiEN-l] Featured article deterioration

Ben Greenberg bengreenb at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 09:23:10 UTC 2006

Its simply naive to say that infinite edits means an infinitely good
article.  If you dont believe that bad, non-vandalism edits take their toll
on articles, I invite you to look at the Featured article review.  So many
articles are ruined by people who simply aren't good at writing prose, and
who enjoy adding useless factoids.  Articles quite often get worse-- if your
idealism has you believing otherwise, please look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hip_hop_music&diff=41510779&oldid=36727078

This should be a big wakeup call to anyone who thinks that the pure wiki
system allows articles to get better indefinitely.  Unless we do something
about it, wikipedia will simply be a place where articles get great then
start to deteriorate.  I'm not suggesting stable versions, but surely...
something needs to be done.