[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia broken

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:17:32 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, David Alexander Russell <webmaster at davidarussell.co.uk> wrote:

> But that's exactly my point. _What the policy says_ is (ie 'if this
> happens, in this way, then this is the consequence') _all_ that achieved
> consensus (and therefore all the is enforceable) - anything above and
> beyond that is not endorsed by the community (or, in the case of
> decrees, not endorsed by Jimbo unless he subsequently says so) and
> therefore is not policy. Taking your example, if there was community
> consensus to extending the 3RR to 25 hours then it would be amended as
> such.
>
> Cynical

I would like to think that we are moving towards improving our standards.
It wasn't so long ago that FAs could be unreferenced.  It wasn't that long
ago that no one was talking about WP:CITE.  I wouldn't say that Wikipedia is
broken, I'd say that it's becoming fixed.  That change isn't going to come
overnight, but the changes in that regard that have happened in the time
I've been here (~19.5 months) are substantial.  Some people have to be hit
with a cluestick a bit harder than others, some people won't be able to
adapt and will leave the project, but what's important is that we develop
our standards and determine what constitute reliable and verifiable
sources.  In some cases that's going to change over time - the standard on
blogs as sources, for example, is evolving as the nature of (some) blogs
change.  At the same time, it's unlikely for messageboards to be reliable
sources (except as a primary source for what was said on the board)

Ian