[WikiEN-l] Deleting the Lolicon picture

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 12:39:11 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not even that the public would perceive that image to be child porn. It
> is
> child porn. It's an image of a child created for the sole purpose of
> producing
> pleasurable sexual excitation in the viewer. Child + porn = child porn.
> Process
> isn't relevant when it comes to stuff like this. Whether we should host
> child
> porn on WMF servers is not something that is up for a vote.

Depends what you mean, "up for a vote". To me, Wikipedia *could* take
the line that hosting images such as the one that sparked this
discussion is acceptable, or justified for whatever reason. But I
doubt that the Foundation would be silly enough to let that happen.

In other words, I'm not certain, but I suspect that that image would
be legal in many parts of the world. But there are all sorts of good
reasons for not including it, that have nothing to do with legality.

Steve