[WikiEN-l] Subcategories (was: Re: Footers (WAS: Re: Deleting the Lolicon picture))

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 14:10:18 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:
> To do it well you need to look at the category system in a whole
> subject area. It requires a lot of editing to fix. But its worth
> it when its right.

I have an immature little fantasy that "tagging" would be better than
"categorising" our articles. Would it work better in this case?
Brownstone could be +"building material" and +mineral and why not even
+architecture.

We could perhaps define parent tags, that worked like templates. Say,
tagging an article +"German beer"  would automatically (and
transparently, that is, visibly) add the tags +German and +beer.

Of course, this would require a major change to MediaWiki and massive
amounts of work to correctly implement, so I'm more than happy to be
convinced that "categories" work better than "tags".

Steve