[WikiEN-l] Re: Privacy policy and editing anonymously notice.

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 31 18:09:48 UTC 2005

Timwi wrote:

>     Your [[IP address]] will be recorded when you click 'Save'. If
>     you are not [[Special:Userlogin|logged in]], it will be shown
>     publicly. See [[Wikipedia:Privacy policy|privacy policy]].

To make it even less scary, how about:

:Unless you are [[Special:Userlogin|logged in]] your edit will be signed
with your [[IP address]] when you click 'Save'. See our
[[Wikipedia:Privacy policy|privacy policy]].

Having an edit be signed with your IP number is IMO less threatening
than saying we'll show your IP number publically, more of a way of
granting attribution for the contributor's fine work than a warning that
"we're watching you!". This version does unfortunately omit the point
that Wikipedia records the IP address of logged-in users too, but it's
not like we can compress every detail of the privacy policy down into
just two lines and it should be pretty obvious to anyone who's thinking
about this sort of thing so hopefully not a major omission.