[WikiEN-l] Clearing my Conscience

Willy on Wheels willyonwheels at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 30 04:06:18 UTC 2005

Yes, I am Willy on Wheels.

Specifically, I am one of six people who have chronically trolled numerous
wikis, notably the English version of Wikipedia. Recently, Wikipedia saved
me from failing a research project horribly, and thus, I have decided to
repent for my past colourful actions.

This whole mess started as a prank in an IRC channel. One of our members
loaded Wikipedia pages in Firefox tabs, and performed a mass-move vandalism.
Normally, this wouldn't be funny, but we had just returned from the pub and
were thorougly sloshed by then.

After we saw the reactions that people made, the vandalism became a bad
habit. We would vandalize, or attempt to vandalize pages just to get a
frantic reaction from Wikipedians. Eventually, one of our group developed a
tool written in PERL script to automate the creation of usernames and page
vandalism. Eventually, we started hunting for proxies to continue the
vandalism.

I'm done for good, and will never again vandalize Wikipedia. After it proved
so useful to me, I realized what our vandalism was taking away from others.
If someone had vandalized the pages I needed, I would have likely failed out
of university. I hope to eventually contribute to this shared knowledge for
the benefit of more than just my warped humour.

I don't expect most of you to believe me, but at least I can rest easy
knowing that I've moved beyond this childish behavior.

--Alec

For the sake of non-repudiation:
126f060696ce9f41757052316647c3c7