[WikiEN-l] Previews

uninvited at nerstrand.net uninvited at nerstrand.net
Mon Oct 31 02:06:31 UTC 2005

In my experience, this bug manifests itself only when one has multiple
tabs or windows open.

Then, it is necessary to press whatever button initiates a post action
on two or more windows or tabs, without waiting for the prior post to
complete.  This is only possible when the site is responding slowly.  I
don't believe I've had the initial problem occur with any pages other
than the delete confirmation page, though I could be mistaken.

Even then, the action will work much of the time, perhaps because the
posts happened to be processed in the proper sequence.

Once the first error occurs, other forms will not post properly unless
they are reloaded first.

Since the cookies are shared across browser windows, with multiple
apaches being round robinned by the squids, there is no way to
guarantee that the posts will arrive in the order in which they were
sent, and there is no way to guarantee that an updated session cookie
takes effect prior to the subsequent post.  Therefore, any attempt at
session control is bound to be a fruitiful source of bugs which cannot
then be reproduced in a typical test environment where there is only
one apache and no lag.

My MW test bench is now badly out of date but I suppose I could get the
latest from CVS and look for it if there is interest.

uc