[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee elections, 2005

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Oct 28 09:09:39 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkinson wrote:

> I think it's important to get some discussion started on the way the
> arbitrators will be chosen at the end of this year, as Jimbo Wales has
> recently altered the elections page[1], saying that this year there
> will be a new system. As he hasn't decided, it's our responsibility as
> Wikipedians to help pick the best arbitrators with the best possible
> system.
>
> Currently his idea is on a appointments and confirmation procedure,
> roughly equivalent to the process that judges become United States
> Supreme Court members - i.e., Jimbo Wales picks a number of
> Wikipedians and they go through for a confirmation vote from the
> community. This obviously differs greatly from the previous system,
> where candidates put their name forward and any candidate willing to
> stand was added to the 'ballot paper' (similar to an election in most
> democratic countries).

In principle this would be a good change.  Elections do not necessarily
produce the best results.  Or they can bring out the people who do not
have the perseverence to stick out a term of office.

Arbcom appointments don't need to be all at the same time.  Whether
Jimbo should be doing this alone is a dubious proposition because of the
time demands that it would put on him.  A nominating committee of
trusted people could be a more practical idea.

Ec