[WikiEN-l] Page freezing on "good" articles

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 28 04:08:55 UTC 2005

Geoff Burling wrote:

>The continuing arguments around VfD/AfD suggests that some of the
>community does not understand -- or believe -- that there is a goal
>to this project, a place where our Wiki will eventually end. I suspect
>that FF has found another end point to our Wiki.

Britannica has been editing and rewriting and adding to their
encyclopedia for two hundred and thirty-seven years now, with no sign
that they're planning to stop changing stuff and publish the "Final
Encyclopedia" any time soon. Why do you think Wikipedia is likely to
start reaching an "endpoint" any time in the forseeable future? I think
a version-rating method is probably vital in the near future to prevent
our best articles from backsliding, we've become good enough in many
areas that IMO this is a real concern. But we're nowhere near "done,"
and since the corpus of human knowledge is itself constantly changing I
doubt we ever will be.