[WikiEN-l] Guardian article about Wikipedia

Snowspinner Snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 15:59:46 UTC 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 11:52 AM, Tony Sidaway wrote:

> On 10/24/05, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:
>
>> The Britannica guy wants us
>> to write 26000 words in one article about encyclopaedias, obviously
>> hasnt understood the web.
>>

> Actually his point wasn't that we should produce 26,000 words.  It was
> rather that by contrast to the Britannica article of that length, ours
> runs to a mere 2000.  This is surprisingly short, given the subject.
> If we can manage 750 words on Squeaky Fromme, why so few on
> Encyclopedia?

Does Britannica also have separate articles on Encyclopedia
Britannica, Brokhaus Encyclopedia, Great Soviet Encyclopedia,
Encyclopedia Judaica, Etymologiae, Bibliotheke, Cyclopaedia, or
Universal Dictionary of Arts and Sciences, Encyclopedie, Pseudodoxia
Epidemica, Lexicon technicum, or, for that matter, Wikipedia?

Because I bet if you count all of those (And probably a few more),
we've got more than EB on the subject, just broken into multiple
articles.

Which may well be a flaw on our part.

-Snowspinner