[WikiEN-l] Re: Link formatting suggestion

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 13:53:59 UTC 2005

Timwi wrote:
> Ilya N. wrote:
>
>> Afaik you can only do it when you've hovered on the link [...]
>

> I wouldn't have made the claim if I didn't have enough competency in CSS
> to know what I'm talking about. Furthermore, I tested it before posting
> (albeit only in Firefox).
>
> Is anyone going to reply to the ACTUAL SUGGESTION?

Yes. The actual suggestion was:

Timwi wrote:

>> Perhaps you should choose (or design) a skin that doesn't highlight
>> wikilinks unless you glide your cursor over them.
>

> Well this gave me an idea.
>
> As far as I understand CSS, it would be possible to make links entirely
> invisible (i.e. indistinguishable from normal text) unless the mouse
> cursor is somewhere within the article content box.
>
> In other words: Imagine the article is just text, no links. As you
> finish reading the section you were looking for, you want to know if
> there is any further information, so you move your mouse into the text
> and all links go blue and underlined.

Ok, I just tested this:

#bodyContent * a
{
    text-decoration: none;
    color: #000000;
}

#bodyContent:hover * a
{
    text-decoration: underline;
    color: #002BB8;
}

External links still show up a different colour with the arrow next to
them. It's a quick and dirty hack, but it does the job.

- --
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
OpenPGP key ID: 0xF874C613  |    X   Against HTML email & vCards
http://tinyurl.com/cc9up    |   / \