[WikiEN-l] Re: Rambot city articles vs. other topics

Anthony DiPierro wikispam at inbox.org
Sun Oct 23 03:39:53 UTC 2005

On 10/22/05, Daniel P. B. Smith <dpbsmith at verizon.net> wrote:

> > One wouldn't be a problem, and neither would ten thousand. We've got
> > thousands of articles on unremarkable cities, and I don't see a
> > problem with
> > that either.
> > Anthony
>
> The Rambot articles shouldn't be compared to other topic classes that
> contain articles on "non-notable" topics.
>
> Taken as a group, the Rambot articles are _reasonably_ comprehensive
> (they include virtually every U. S. city, not just a minuscule
> percentage of them); uniform in style, content, and quality; and
> derive from good (though uncited) sources.

If anything I think that only makes my point stronger. If we have the
resources to maintain an article on virtually every U.S. city, then surely
we have the resources to maintain an article on a tiny fraction of the
garage bands in the world.

Comparing Rambot articles to other topic classes is perfectly fine as long
as you limit your comparison to the proper aspects. Frankly, I think the
uniformity in style, content, and quality is a bad thing, but that wasn't
related to the thread I was making the comparison in.