[WikiEN-l] What Readers Say on Inclusion

Anthony DiPierro wikispam at inbox.org
Sun Oct 23 03:11:32 UTC 2005

On 10/22/05, JAY JG <jayjg at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: Anthony DiPierro <wikispam at inbox.org>
> >
> >I make the assumption that most contributors, even those that happen to
> be
> >interested in garage bands, are acting in good faith. I make the
> assumption
> >that if you give people the tools and the freedom to create good articles
> >they're going to do so. Maybe you think that's a crazy idea, but if so I
> >find it hard to understand why you believe in the crazy idea of building
> >website that anyone can edit.
>
> Actually, we're trying to build an *encyclopedia* that anyone can edit; it
> astonishes me that people keep forgetting this.
>
> Jay.

Are you saying that Wikipedia isn't a website? I'm fully aware that
Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, but that doesn't change the fact that it's
also a wiki, which is a website that anyone can edit.

We can argue about whether or not Wikipedia would have succeeded had it not
been a website if you want, but the comment I was making was that the crazy
idea - of a website that anyone could edit - actually worked.

Anthony