[WikiEN-l] Questionable fair use claims: a case study

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Sat Oct 22 15:42:12 UTC 2005

On 20 Oct 2005, at 17:34, uninvited at nerstrand.net wrote:

> I don't care much about this particular image, but I see this as a
> bellwether for the broader issue of dealing with the thousands of
> images we have where there is a doubtful fair use claim being made by
> the uploader.  The process for handling such images is unclear, at
> least to me, with the IFD, PUI, and CV (copyright violations) pages
> having overlapping purpose and conflicting processes.  Any of these
> processes are cumbersome, with notification required to the uploader
> and ongoing monitoring to shepherd the image through the process.  And
> all of these processes are heavily biased towards inclusion.
> Decisions
> to keep fair use images are being made by admins who don't understand
> fair use and don't appreciate the stakes.

It appears that the admin (who is closing most of ifd at the moment)
has decided that PUI is where all images should end up. It is therefore
now almost impossible to get anything deleted. I listed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Haley-Paige.jpg on ifd after it had
already been tagged as fair use disputed. It has a big copyright
notice on the bottom of the image from http://www.newsensations.com/,
a porn image link reseller, and its labelled as "promo". And it didnt
get deleted; its now on PUI. "Possibly unfree" whats the point of this.
It is unfree, no question, so why is it here. Whats the point of this
process?

I havent been closing ifd as I often list images there, and it seems bad
form to list and delete, but I might have to change this policy.

Justinc