[WikiEN-l] Re: So what do we do about this?

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 20:49:37 UTC 2005

This is true, but even blogs need to keep up their
standards or things can fall apart and people go
elsewhere. It helps to have accountability in the
sense of having someone actually "in charge" -- this
kind of comes in lieu of a more institutional
"reputation" of a newsgathering organization. Even the
latter rests on some institutional assumptions, and
recent cases (Judy Miller) might make current newsorgs
appear rather Herstian (Yellow journalism) and
therefore something to avoid like the flux.

Wikipedia, being neither a newsorg (under reputation),
or a blog (editorial paper under personal account)
isnt likely to benefit from any static "policy." It
may benefit from an editorial board, however, who
contribute to a 'policy body' (like a case record for
Arbcom).

Dont even ask me about wikinews:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Purpose

SV