[WikiEN-l] Questionable fair use claims: a case study

uninvited at nerstrand.net uninvited at nerstrand.net
Fri Oct 21 01:56:04 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> So, since you believe this is *clearly* not fair use, I assume you can point
> to a number of court rulings, some at a very high level in the appeals
> process, which cover similar uses which were ruled to not be fair use? I for
> one would be interested in seeing those cases.

I am not an attorney, however even my meager lay resources are able to
identify:

Los Angeles News Service, Robert Tur v. Audio Video Reporting Services
et al.
Encyclopaedia Britannica v. Crooks
Basic Books, Inc. v. Kinko's Graphics Corporation

There are more.  No shortage of bogus fair use claims reaching the
courts.

uc