[WikiEN-l] Quality vs. consensus

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 20 18:29:18 UTC 2005

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

> Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> Poor, Edmund W wrote:
>>
>>> I think the word you're looking for is "irony". Alphax was making the
>>> ironic observation that an overwhelming number of Wikipedians are more
>>> concerned with consensus than with quality.
>>
>> Not only that but they misunderstand the nature of consensus.
>> Effective consensus depends on having effective community.  Consensus
>> that is motivated by being right and winning your point is not much
>> of a consensus.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "winning your point", but why is being
> right NOT a good motivation? I'm having a hard time thinking of a
> better one.

Yeah! Maybe I should stop accidentally watching Dr. Phil on TV.  Damn
radical Texans!  Just before I wrote the above he was talking about
"rights warriors" in a marriage.  Some of them can end up "right" in
Divorce Court.

Being right is wrong when the wrong person also thinks he's as right.
Who has the monopoly on objectivity?

Ec