[WikiEN-l] Re: The whole point of wikipedia

Anthony DiPierro wikispam at inbox.org
Wed Oct 19 22:54:18 UTC 2005

> If you think all vandalism is noticed in RC then you are seriously wrong,
> it
> is totally unquestionable that a significant amount does get through, sure
> its not much compared to the total volume, but it is still way too much
> for
> an encyclopedia that is trying to establish credibility.

It's a lot easier to revert vandalism when it's being performed by a logged
in user. This is especially true if you force some non-vandals to start
logging in.

Yeah, the party line is that we want to allow people to contribute
anonymously, but the fact is that the current system doesn't really allow
that anyway. The real problem with requiring *everyone* to log in is that it
makes it more time consuming to casually edit. However, the alternative in
this particular case is to make it impossible to edit using that IP, so I
don't see that as an argument.

The question becomes whether or not this will make it easier for vandals. I
don't think it'll matter that much, especially if there is a mechanism to
hard block certain IP addresses in case a Wik-like vandal comes along.
(Preferably without the blocking admin needing to see the IP address at all,
but that's another argument altogether).

Regards