[WikiEN-l] Re: The whole point of wikipedia

Martin Richards Martin at velocitymanager.com
Wed Oct 19 20:19:39 UTC 2005

From: "Tony Sidaway"

> Personally I think that bad writing and driving away newcomers are the
> two worst problems of the project.  The former can be fixed over time
> with effort.  The latter will kill us if we keep it up.  Compared to
> those, vandalism doesn't even count as a blip on the radar screen.

Agree, but I think bad faith editing causes these problems. What do you
think are the best methods to attract new users? Personally I think that if
we only allowed editing from a registered with email account, the number of
good productive editors would increase as our credibility would greatly
increase. I know that is blasphemous and against wiki principle, but frankly
I don't give a s*** about wiki principle, I am only here to make a good
encyclopedia.

I think it is only a matter of time before a clone of wikipedia pops up with
restricted editing, gains some popularity (especially with academics), and
over time makes Wikipedia start to look like the urban dicionary.

p.s. I do love WIkipedia, really.

Martin