[WikiEN-l] Re: The whole point of wikipedia

Martin Richards Martin at velocitymanager.com
Wed Oct 19 17:13:18 UTC 2005

From: Tony Sidaway:

> You might think so, but it isn't.  Even the most vandalized articles
> on Wikipedia are well under control.  The category "Protected against
> vandalism", which contains a list of all pages currently with a
> vprotect template, is almost empty of real articles.
>
> It's easy to get the Chicken Licken attitude if you don't look at the
> actual facts.
>
> Vandalism is in no way, shape or form a serious ongoing threat to
> Wikipedia.

Thats because we only protect pages under fairly extreme circumstances. The
real vandalism problem is the one we don't see, the articles that aren't
being watched closely (i.e. the ones that make up the bulk of the ~750,000
articles we have).

The most vandalised pages are ok because lots of people watch them, only
just a few minutes ago I reverted some serious one-off vandalism on a fairly
important article that was done over 2 weeks ago. But even high profile
articles are not immune to vandalism, if you monitor the Bill Gates article
it is painfully obvious why it was so badly criticised; because it is a
constant war between vandalism/crap editing and reverting back, any good
editing just get eroded away.

The other problem that vandalism causes is that it wastes so much time of
editors who would otherwise being making articles better rather than
stopping them being destroyed. Plus, as I said, vandalism deters good
editors from taking us seriously and contributing.

The real cost is the one you don't see. Not the one you see in recent
changes.

Martin