[WikiEN-l] Blocking proposal

Martin Richards Martin at velocitymanager.com
Tue Oct 18 11:13:38 UTC 2005

Hi guys, there is a proposal for a new form of blocking at [[Wikipedia:Blocking policy proposal]]. In a nutshell would nable to us to block IP addresses, but allow registered users to use that IP address, this would mean "good" users will not be blocked by accident, and vandals from AOL, schools etc. can be blocked.

The main drawback is that more determined vandals could then just register an account and continue vandising, but we can't do much about those determined vandals anyway. Plus we could have some kind of system to further deter vandals from registering, such as having a delay on their account creation or something (see the page for more).

At present the "vote" (yes I know, we all hate votes) looks like it will favour introducing the new kind of block in some form, but of course the ins and outs will probably have to be decided by the developers as to what is technically feasible etc.

What do you guys think? Plus, if it does prove popular, how do we go about implementing it? I have little understanding of the software so am totally lost on that front.

Martin (User:Bluemoose)