[WikiEN-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Placeopedia

Anthony DiPierro wikispam at inbox.org
Tue Oct 18 02:11:50 UTC 2005

On 10/17/05, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> > I put latitude and longitude on a bunch of my images on the
> > commons. It'd be
> > nice if there was a standard for that, and we could probably tag a
> > large
> > portion of the images there.
>
> How do you do that out of interest? GPS? Can you give an example URL.

Nah, I just did it by hand using one of those map sites (I think it was
mapquest). And now that I'm looking, I did it with a lot fewer pictures than
I thought I did. I can't find an example, and I swear I looked up the
information on http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Vetstadium.jpg and
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:DSCF0281.JPG. Anyway, this search
function on mediawiki really sucks, I don't yet have my images on commons
well organized, and I have an assignment for a class due in 4 hours, so I'm
going to have to bail on finding an example for now.

I actually managed to create a replica of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Capemaypoint.JPG using google earth. It
had the same angle and zoom and everything. I had this displayed on a
subpage of my user page, and I thought it was pretty damn neat, but it was
deleted by Kelly Martin. I think I still have the image on a hard drive
somewhere, but it's not on my main drive.

Lots of UK place articles have UK grid refs and so on which could be
> extracted,
> although they need conversion. I would add more geo data if there
> were standard
> templates etc. I do have a GPS card somewhere, but I wish my camera
> had it built in.

Yeah, I'd love to have a camera that could just add it to the metadata.

I am very keen on adding geolocation data to wikipedia. The google
> maps interface
> is nasty though - more interested in building it into WP itself.

In the really long term I'd love to see an open content mapping site. In the
meantime I think we should stick to using templates if we're going to link
to non-open content sources. This way we can change the source if anyone
ever does come out with something open.

OK, back to work. 3 hours and 50 minutes left.