[WikiEN-l] Arrgh! Please proofread your emails!

Anthony DiPierro wikispam at inbox.org
Mon Oct 17 19:43:16 UTC 2005

On 10/17/05, Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:

> Okay, I'm probably asking to get flamed by writng this, but
> would people *please* make an effort to check their spelling
> & grammar before they post here? In the haste to contribute to
> an ongoing conversation, sometimes the result can be, well,
> incoherent, as shown by the quoted passages below.

 I agree with you, although the fact that you misspelled "writng" in your
very first sentence leads me to believe you don't use a spell checker
yourself.

> > Unless you consider the reason for this may a combination of low
> > profile and the knowlage amoungst those that do know about it that
> > they would be wasteing there time. Any article that is so important
> > that it must be included in wikipedia this year is unlikely to get
> > wiped out through AFD.
> >
> I wouldn't say anything about this paragraph, had it not appeared
> in the same post, because despite having a college degree in English,
> I still manage to misspell words. However, it borders on parody to
> find one statement with 3 glaring misspellings follow an incoherent
> one. I like to think that the people who post here on a regular
> basis are some of the brightest & most articulate (& yours truly)
> members of Wikipedia; seeing the above, I have to strongly reconsider
> that assumption. Typos & misspellings only undercut the power & logic
> of a writer's arguments, which is why I struggle to keep them out
> of what I write. (And an old Usenet rule dictates that at least one
> of these can be found in my email.)

 Take a look at the other writings by this person. I'm not sure what the
problem is, but it might be that they don't speak English as their primary
language.

To repeat myself, if you believe your opinion is important enough to
> be put into an email to this list, then it is important enough to
> proof-read that email before you send it to this list. I may be wrong
> to say this, but any topic will wait a minute or two while you
> perform this simple task.

 I don't usually do it, but I did click on "check spelling" for this
particular post.

Geoff

 Anthony