[WikiEN-l] Re: new CheckUser proposal up

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:14:45 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

>I absolutely understand that David. I just want to point out that the
>fact sysadmins in the real world are extremely cautious with data does
>not necessarily mean the editors who will be given access to checkuser
>will be cautious.
>As for our *own* sysadmins (well, in our case, basically, our developer
>team with shell access), they could do destructive things, but they
>pretty much don't :-) And we trust them :-)

Yes, that's what I mean :-) Basically I have access because I have
some idea what the IP numbers mean, and Tim thinks I can be trusted
not to reveal data unduly (and I think I can too). As what we're
talking about is really a site maintenance/administration function
(which is OK within the privacy policy), we need people we can trust
that much.

That's what I mean by: We need to find people who we can trust with
confidential information, then trust them all the way.

There are lots of editors who could *almost* certainly be trusted with
confidential data to that degree, but I don't want to be making the
decision that they can be trusted all the way :-)

- d.