[WikiEN-l] new CheckUser proposal up

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:24:59 UTC 2005

I don't see how we can compare the security of Wikipedia with that of
other Top 50 websites. We already have the "large security hole" that
any one can edit and that's what put wikipedia where it is now. Other
top 50 websites aren't editable.

Also, however much I like him to be, David, is not scaleable on his
own. If Wikipedia grows, so does the need for people with access to IP
information to deal swiftly with vandalbots and very much confirmed
sockpuppets (not just suspected ones).

The need is there. All we need to agree on is who we give the access to.

IMO giving it to the arbcom so they can swiftly handle cases would be
a good thing and perhaps it can be given to a few more trusted people
so it's easy to find an active person with such access in an
emergency.

--Mgm