[WikiEN-l] Vandalbot range block

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:56:15 UTC 2005

>This may be a stupid question, but can someone point me towards the
>history behind this Wik chap? There's a lot of references now, but it
>seems to just predate me...

Wik ([[User:Wik]]) was a Wikipedian dedicated to the point of
obsession. He mostly made very good edits, but was somewhat brittle
and abrasive. Eventually he got pissed off with another user doing
things to his talk page and wanted it *stopped*, and eventually wrote
a nasty vandalbot to do just that ([[User:Vandalbot]]). He returned as
[[User:Gzornenplatz]], but continued to be abrasive in the same way,
and ended up at the AC. It turned out he was definitely Wik. He came
back again as [[User:NoPuzzleStranger]], editing from open proxies;
and continued okay for a while, but then was abrasive again in exactly
the same way; then Lucky 6.9 noticed that "NoPuzzleStranger" was an
anagram of "User Gzornenplatz". Then he (just recently) started a bot
to watch particular pages and create a new username and edit them the
moment they were unlocked. Fun stuff.

He's firmly dedicated to Wikipedia and still makes mostly good edits.
However, he (a) has great problems working well with others (b) does
nasty things when he doesn't get his way. So he isn't very well
favoured.

(Any details above incorrect, please correct!)

- d.