[WikiEN-l] Re: The curse of Jack Sarfatti?

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Oct 12 18:11:13 UTC 2005

> Be assured that you are not the only one receiving unpleasant
> mails from
> Sarfatti...
>
> Please, avoid doing anything which could make us liable of
> anything, and
> as Jimbo recommended just today "Let's please all review the
> page about
> him at Wikipedia to make sure that it does not contain "vicious lies,
> smears, slander and libel". Of course, we should do this with
> absolutely
> anyone... but here is a case when it is particularly important ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Ant

I spoke by telephone to Jack Sarfatti twice today and have been talking
with Phroziac by instant message. Here is the extent of my
interventions, for community review:

1. I unblocked his [[user:JackSarfatti]] account.
2. I unblocked the [[Jack Sarfatti]] article.
3. I tried (twice) to tone done the anti-Sarfatti rhetoric there, but
have given up for the day.
4. I marked up with HTML strikeout the message on Jack's user talk page
which threatened legal action against Wikipedia; he told me over the
phone that I could delete it.
5. I suggested to Jack that he confine his wiki activity to the
[[talk:Jack Sarfatti]] page - rather than trying to edit the article
directly.

He is a newbie. He does not know the rules. He didn't know that users
aren't allowed to delete other users' talk page comments, for example.

This sort of thing is going to happen more and more, now that Wikipedia
is the 45th most popular web site (and has 750,000 articles in the
English edition). Let's treat the public right.

Uncle Ed