[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia and autism

Mark Pellegrini mapellegrini at comcast.net
Wed Oct 12 10:08:05 UTC 2005

I think it's a dangerous and foolhardy endeavor to single out autistic
contributors for special treatement - which
is, after all, what most of this discussion about autism entails.

Psychologists - trained professionals - are ethically prohibited from
making such diagnoses without meeting a
patient in person. So, rather, now our admins are supposed to do what
even trained professionals will not.

Furthermore, it's inherently bad policy to treat one particular group
different than others (different, for better or for
worse). Not only is it insulting and likely to cause far more problems
than it would actually, but it is guarenteed to
be riddled with errors (statistical type I and type II).

This idea needs to go into the "circular file" post haste.

-Mark