[WikiEN-l] Questions about Scott Burnside article -- unattributed quotes

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:31:41 UTC 2005

Bob wrote:

>I was reading Scott Burnside's article,
>  http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2005/news/story?id=2172427
>about top NHL rivalries, and I discovered that some passages appear to
>have been directly lifted or slightly edited from The Sporting News and
>Wikipedia articles. Who do I contact to address these concerns?

I tend not to worry about it too much, it just shows that Wikipedia is
very much the quick-research option for pressured journalists ;-) You
might email him thanking him for a nice article, and that you're
pleased Wikipedia is reliable enough for him to use as a research
tool, and asking if he can include links to the source articles in
future as that would be very helpful to a reader. i.e. gently let him
know you've spotted his source ;-)

- d.