[WikiEN-l] a valid criticism

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:25:33 UTC 2005

On 10/7/05, Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.org> wrote:
> > But who looks up "Earth" in an encyclopaedia?
>
> My seven-year-old daughter.  Wikipedia is an encyclopedia for everyone,
> not just geeks who are looking for hyper-specialized trivia.
>
> > I would expect more people to read [[Brutalist architecture]] than
> [[Architecture]]....
>
> You have surprising expectations.

I echo this.  I've got a two year old daughter.  One of the reasons
I'm so active in Wikipedia is that I want her to have a good reference
source for when we start teaching her.  She's already reading a
little, so it won't be too long before she starts visiting Wikipedia
(under careful supervision, mind you) and not log after that before
she starts editing.  (I'm not letting her serve on ArbCom until she's
25, though.)

Kelly

Kelly