[WikiEN-l] Trademarked images and image use policies in non-English Wikipedias

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Thu Oct 6 16:41:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 10:48 -0500, Nyenyec N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In HuWiki there's an ongoing debate over trademarked images, such as
> company logos. On the one hand, they're usually copyrighted so they
> shouldn't be uploaded, on the other hand they can be used to
> illustrate encyclopedia articles about the specific company without
> the fear of anyone suing us.

Except that they might implicitly be taken to imply endorsement, or we
might be asked to remove them.

WHat is the summary of the argument on HU?

> I know that they cannot be uploaded to commons (since they're
> copyrighted) and I think the German Wikipedia also doesn't allow such
> images, since they don't have a free license.
>
> I'd be really interested in reading about what decisions the other
> language versions of Wikipedia made and why.

en is overlax and allows upload of pretty much any copyrighted image at
the moment. Clearly this is going to have to change. I wouldnt use the
policies of en as a basis for anything else. Also it depends on the fair
use policy of the country in question (as that is where it will largely
be used). Germany has no fair use right in law apparently, hence their
decision.

> Can someone point me to a place where I can discuss this (preferably
> in English)?

Here, or wikiproject fair use on en.