[WikiEN-l] Hypothetical print version (was Paper is not paper)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 00:22:43 UTC 2005

On 05/10/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikispam at inbox.org> wrote:

> Incidently, has someone from Wikimedia talked to the MIT group about
> including Wikipedia on the laptops? They'd be kind of crazy not to - I think
> the two projects fit together perfectly.

Perhaps not. A key cost control in the MIT project is to not include
vast amounts of storage space - see
http://laptop.media.mit.edu/faq.html - which suggests that including a
gig or three of content wouldn't be viable.

(Of course, one of the corrolaries of the "instant mesh network" idea
they're playing with would be to have a single higher-grade machine on
the site which serves as a library; there may be some potential there)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk