[WikiEN-l] Ip range block

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Tue Oct 4 13:42:22 UTC 2005

admin wrote:
> 23:32, 3 October 2005, Talrias
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Talrias> blocked 217.43.0.0/16
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:217.43.0.0/16> (expires 23:32, 5
> October 2005) (contribs
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=217.43.0.0/16>)
> (Irish republican vandal (please email User:Talrias
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Talrias>).)
>
> this seems to block a range of ips?

The block did ask you to email me if it hit you.

The reason I blocked this range of IPs was to prevent the Irish
republican vandal (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:217.43.198.7). This user has been
inserting pro-Republican material into Wikipedia (typically
non-mainstream views such as the CIRA is the legitimate ruler of the
entirety of Ireland; rejection of various treaties between the UK and
the RoI). He's been using a number of IP addresses that fall within
217.43.0.0/16 but as I see there are other contributors within this
range of IPs.

What ISP are you using, and is it dialup? Do you get a
dynamically-generated IP address or is it the same each time?

Chris