[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 27, Issue 10

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 23:51:04 UTC 2005

On 10/3/05, Mark Pellegrini <mapellegrini at comcast.net> wrote:

> The thing is - let's face it - we have all the bases covered. We already
> have
> articles on more-or-less all the topics you would expect in a traditional
> encyclopedia.

Actually, no, but that's by-the-by. Why this insistence on reference to
paper encyclopedias? Why is it important to cripple Wikipedia by removing
content? I say "removing content" because it looks to me that in violating
deletion policy through the insistence on deleting articles that could be
merged, the intention of some parties is to destroy certain wikipedia
content, to declare it, by edict of four or five editors who happened to be
around during a debate, beyond the reach of Wikipedia.

A discussion is now taking place on Wikipedia Votes for undeletion. An
article about a developing games forum website was deleted a few months ago
on the grounds that it was "crystal ball gazing". Now the website is up and
running and someone asks for the article, with some 40 edits by to be
deleted. People are sitting on VFU right now and seriouslyarguing that it
should be kept deleted because "at the time, the VfD discussion was valid.

That beggars belief.