[WikiEN-l] What Readers Say on Inclusion

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:17:55 UTC 2005

Philip Sandifer wrote:

> Which doesn't prove anything, I'll be the first to admit. But I think
> this is an important thing we haven't been asking - what do readers
> think.

It's an interesting point-counterpoint issue, because although Wikipedia
is about providing what the readers want, many readers aren't at all
concerned with the overall health of the project-- they are only
concerned with whether it helps with their homework, or Livejournal
debate or whatever.

I think most deletionists who are upset about people writing articles
about themselves get upset because after putting in all this work to
improve the project, someone coming in and writing an article about his
band is seen as an appropriation of the work of others. Wikipedia is
popular because of the work people put in to improve it, and that means
that anyone using it to do self-promotion is to be (rightfully) shunned.
Yes, the information about your garage band might be true, but that
doesn't mean it's okay for you to use Wikipedia as your own personal
vehicle to superstardom. We only want contributions from people who want
to improve the encyclopedia; not people who want to use it to advance
their own interests.

Now, the average reader doesn't care about this problem because they are
only interested in th quality of the articles they are actually
searching for. Does that mean notability has nothing to do with quality?
No, I don't think so. But it doesn't mean it does, either.

- Ryan