[WikiEN-l] Re: Becoming more encyclopedia-like: 1: Encephalon's comments

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:12:31 UTC 2005

> How did the deletion period get reduced from 7 to 5 days. That seems
> far too short, especially considering that many other deletions still
> require 7 days. A _minimum_ of a week seems most appropriate.

An interesting observation. Actually I had no idea that it was ever longer.
I wonder if it was reduced as the old double-transclusion version of VfD
became unwieldy. If so, in theory it could be changed back, or even doubled.

But in practice the maximum lag time for an article (days between nomination
and deletion) is eight days at the moment, and it has been much longer at
times.

And from closing debates, my experience is that articles that don't get much
attention in the first day or two aren't likely to get more over the current
five day period. But if neglected listings (say four people or fewer in five
days of discussion) are then relisted they tend to get more attention. So
extending lag time would probably have minimal benefit and other methods of
improving exposure are available and are fairly commonly used.