[WikiEN-l] Re: Taking your eyes off the ball

Worldtraveller wikipedia at world-traveller.org
Mon Oct 3 13:37:16 UTC 2005

Ouch!  Do you mean astronomy is boring, or my writing about astronomy?  I
do try to write articles that are interesting for people who might only
have a passing interest in astronomy but it's easy for a scientist to
forget what's interesting to people not in the field.  That's partly why I
sought peer review for Herbig-Haro object, because I was half afraid I was
going to spend lots of time on something no-one would be interested in.
Astrocruft, if you like.  Please tell me if I'm heading that way!

The general point is that for many featured articles, only one person
might be interested in writing about a subject, but its appeal should be
broad based if it really represents the best of Wikipedia.  I'm not
particularly fussed about architects in colonial New Zealand, for example,
but Giano's articles on Benjamin Mountfort etc are interesting enough to
keep me reading right through.

WT