[WikiEN-l] Re: Requested articles

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Oct 1 14:39:15 UTC 2005

> If only people spent more time reducing the backlog on requested
> articles. Those wouldn't be half as controversial as roads and schools
> and help to improve the coverage of Wikipedia. It's not as if they're
> writing what they know about anyway, or those road articles would be
> near FA instead of stubs.

Instead of fussing about improving the AfD process, I'd like to give
some thought to improving the article _request_ process. Right now
it's actually quite difficult, as you're expected to thread your way
through a deeply nested Roget's-Thesaurus-like logical organization
of the sum of human knowledge to find the place to insert a request.

I'd like _requesting_ an article to be truly as easy as _creating_
one. That is, I'd a link or button which automatically adds your
request to some list somewhere... and lets other people sort 'em out
into categories.

I honestly feel that many problem substubs--the ones which give
virtually no information that is not in their titles--should be
treated either in one of two ways. Many substubs look to me like good-
faith efforts to point out a topic that someone would like covered--
but does not have the time or the skills to make a usable start on.
If a stub is not a usable launching pad for an article, then it does
not serve any function other than pointing out the absence of an
article on a worthy topic. It is, then, not an article, not a stub,
not the start of an article--it is an article request made in an
inappropriate way.

I think the appropriate disposition of such main-namespace-pages is
to delete them from the main namespace and re-enter them as article
requests.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/