[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 18:29:31 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:
> > On 29 Nov 2005, at 00:43, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > >>
> > > So if 25 people spend 1 hour a week it'll take...less than a year.
> > > The problem with this would be?
> > >

> > The other tens of thousands of images uploaded in the mean time. The
> > fact that when people complain about removal of one non free image they
> > point to others and say this hasnt gone yet why should mine go.
> >
> But, this person is specifically complaining about an image that was
> uploaded years ago.  I could see deleting the tens of thousands of
> images uploaded more recently first, though I think you're severely
> exaggerating how many unfree images are going to be uploaded in the
> next 44 weeks.  And you ignored the point about how many of those
> images are by *unique individuals*.  There's no need to tell someone
> who has already been told time and time again, but telling people at
> least once (look, here's a list of images of yours we're going to
> delete unless you add a tag) is the least that can be done.

To answer these points:
1) Back at the beginning of the drive to clear out [[Category:Images
with unknown source]], I sometimes checked the image contributions of
uploaders.  I would usually find two or three other images tagged as
unsourced, and an equal number of other unsourced images.  Assuming
this rate is typical, that's between 5 000 and 9 000 uploaders that
need to be notified.
2) When I did check the contributions of uploaders, about 75% didn't
have a userpage.  90% had fewer than 50 edits.  All but one had not
contributed in the last month.
3) Deleting images "in order of upload" or "most recently first" is
almost impossible.  The category system sorts images alphabetically by
filename.
4) Judging from the amount of churn on the first page of
[[Category:Images with unknown source]], somewhere between 200 and 500
unsourced images are uploaded each week.   If the proportions are
similar for the other categories, then in the year you're saying
should be taken to delete the existing 33 000 images, another 17 000
to 43 000 bad images will be uploaded.

--
[[User:Carnildo]]