[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 01:19:41 UTC 2005

In message
<31073ef90511281617x7d096a26m53c249a3f1d17e3a at mail.gmail.com>, Mark
Wagner <carnildo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes
>Assuming Wikipedia is running along smoothly, an administrator can
>delete one image every twenty seconds, if they don't notify the user
>first or remove the image from pages where it's used, and if they do
>only the quickest check to see if the image is tagged correctly.
>Deleting all these images would take 185 man-hours of effort.
>
>If the administrator removes the image from articles where it's used
>before deleting it, it takes about 40 seconds to delete an image.
>This increases the effort needed to 370 man-hours.

Just a minute - are you honestly advocating that images should be
routinely deleted without removing links from articles which use them?
Because in that case I STRONGLY object to this attitude. For some time
I've been coming across articles on my watchlist which suddenly have red
image links in prominent places: apart from looking damned ugly, it's
highly give a highly unprofessional impression of Wikipedia. It should
be OBLIGATORY in my opinion for the people deleting images to FIRST
remove the links to them, and hang the extra work involved!

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/