[WikiEN-l] need to work out clear policies on MANDATORYandOPTIONAL rules on WP

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 17 21:41:39 UTC 2005

 "Tom Cadden" wrote

> As has been pointed out repeatedly, the MoS does not say 'do what
> Brittanica does' Brittanica is a business-orientated hardcopy encyclopædia
> which follows governmental usage to avoid offending native populations
> because it needs them to buy their product. It is called sometimes
> 'Strategic Naming'.

> They follow their own MoS. We follow ours. Ours is not business based but
> based exclusively on the most common name principle.

[[Wikipedia:Wikilawyering]]:  "Wikilawyering is attempting to
inappropriately rely on legal technicalities with respect to
Wikipedia:Policies or Wikipedia:Arbitration."

'Wikilawyer' is pejorative; 'policy wonk' is not.

If blindly insisting on 'following policy' makes the English Wikipedia
factually worse, and offends our community members, and offends 'native
populations' (my God, do people still express themselves like this?) why the
hell should we do it? Making 'exclusively' a universal override is
wikilwayering.

Charles