[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Tue Nov 15 11:53:27 UTC 2005

On 15 Nov 2005, at 03:53, Tony Sidaway wrote:
> I do sometimes wonder where the process of abandonment of English
> proper names of places will lead us, but no doubt in time we would all
> become accustomed to referring to Cymru, Alba, Euskal Herria,
> Deutschland, España, Confoederatio Helvetica, Österreich, and all the
> rest--and some of us may even understand which country we're talking
> about.

It seems to be a gradual trend. Leghorn redirects to Livorno but not
that long ago it was the standard English version; its rather rare now.

Also there were a lot of changes post war, when German names were
changed
(Pressburg to Bratislava etc; we used to use the German names). And we
have our entry under Mumbai. I think it is an inevitable trend; there is
no reason now not to use local names and the world is becoming more
internationalized.

There is still an issue as to when we change.

Justinc